Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Once (the recap)





OHMYGOD, yo. Last night's event made me so happy, I thought I would jump out of my skin. I'm going to tackle this post in parts, lest I faint from joy.

The Movie:
It's being pitched as a "musical," but I can't think of a more inappropriate word to describe it. Musicals conjure images of Grease or West Side Story, which is far from what this movie is. The director--John Carney, former bassist of The Frames--likes to call it an "album on film," which is the perfect phrase. I don't want to give away too much from the movie since I know some of you are going to see it when it's in wider release. Carney made a brilliant portrait of Dublin, love, and longing, and you MUST SEE IT.

The Q&A:
Foresters, I made you all proud last night. I asked a question without sounding like a fangirl gushing inaudible, incomprehensible sounds. In fact, I managed to sound semi-normal, verging on intelligent. My question (more or less): (to Glen and Marketa) did you write The Swell Season with this movie in mind? If not, how did the movie and that album come together? Glen answered my question thoughtfully while staring straight at me for about 3 minutes, during which I managed to not crack under the pressure of celebrity interaction. Good progress!

Performance:
Marketa played "If You Want Me" and they both played "Falling Slowly" with Glen's beat up guitar with the hole in it. Need I say they were amazing? It was so intimate and I just kept thinking about how lucky I was to be there.

Regrets:
1. Why the fuck did I leave my camera at home? I was terrified of the "Anti-Piracy" warning on the email confirmation I received that I intentionally left my camera at home. Bollocks, bullshit, bitches, butt. Wouldn't you be scared if you read this:


ANTI-PIRACY ENFORCEMENT

The screening will be monitored for unauthorized recordings. By attending, you agree not to bring any recording devices into the theatre and consent to a physical search of your belongings and person for recording devices. If you attempt to enter with a recording device, you will be denied admission. If you attempt to use a recording device, you consent to your immediate removal from the theatre and forfeiture of the device. Unauthorized recordings will be reported to law enforcement and may subject you to criminal and civil liability.

2. I wish HB were with me. It wasn't the happiest of endings. Thank goodness for dark theaters. You have a few minutes during the credits to mop up your face when you're crying like you're pregnant.

Summary:

What a perfect night! Moonie was great enough to come with me after someone flaked. Boys are so unreliable. After the show, I got to shake hands with Glen, introduce myself, and--I swear this is exactly what he said--"C-----? That's a great name. I'm going to name one of my children that one day." After an autograph and a photo, I was on Cloud 9.

Please, go see this movie. It's on a short tour right now at a few major cities, but then it'll be released in NY and LA on May 18th. The soundtrack comes out on the 22nd, and I know you'll buy it after you see the movie.

P.S. If I HAD MY CAMERA, these photos would be so much better. Sigh.

2 comments:

moonrat said...

Many points:

1) dear reader, her claim his true--Glen did promise to name a child after her

2) her other claim about keeping her cool while Glen stared at her for 3 minutes is also true--just barely. it was very cute. however, she doesn't discuss how jittery with genuine panic she got when the lady announced there would be only one more autograph and these two beastly little NYU students cut ahead of us in line even though we were next to talk to Glen and for a moment everything looked bleak but then turned out well enough in the end

3) there's nothing wrong with crying like a pregnant person. humph

4) Blue was obviously the only geek to even READ the anti-piracy policy and thereby the only person scared shitless and thereby the only person who didn't have a camera and had to take a picture on her phone (which, may i take this opportunity to mention, never has more than 1 battery bar)

5) what's wrong with my photography?!?! i think these photos are stunningly artistic.

that's all for now.

Bluenana said...

I should have mentioned this in the post--if it hadn't have been for Moonie, I wouldn't have any photos at all. THANK YOU!

Any disappointment I feel is directed entirely at the quality of my camera phone, because it's obvious that your action shot has a much better resolution. And yes, stunningly artistic.

Though (credit where credit is due), it's small miracle that my phone had enough battery to take TWO pictures. I was certain it would automatically shut off before you were able to take one picture.

In future, I will blow caution to the wind and BRING MY CAMERA.